Digital Communion Recommends:
Liberation Mentor - Freedom Through Actualization
“Why would the desert reveal such things to a stranger, when it knows that we have been here for generations?” said another of the chieftains.
“Because my eyes are not yet accustomed to the desert,” the boy said. “I can see things that eyes habituated to the desert might not see.”
-Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Curious what outside (un-habituated) eyes see while they’re in America? How aware are you of the parts of your consciousness that are shaped as a result of your unique culture? Terence McKenna speaks of “cultural operating systems” and says travel (among other things) can open your eyes to it.
But what if you can’t travel to see other cultures, or you’re curious what your own cultural operating system looks like… you can catch a glimpse through a stranger’s eyes. Find out how America fares during a midnight drive as our favorite outsider gives you insights about the uniquely American “operating system”. The conversation this week will make you think about the parts of your culture that you can’t see (anymore).
Watch or Listen below or get the Podcast free on iTunes
– The scale of things in America
– Taking things for granted
– Hyper-nationalistic sentiment or patriotism turned toxic?
– Knowing how good you have it
– Thoughts on entitlement
– Riff on american stereotypes
– Using the technology of modernity to enhance your own growth vs. mindless lazy uses of your car or iPhone
– Value of the United States
– Getting caught up in the dream that Hollywood sells you
– The biodiversity and geographical natural wonders of the U.S.
– It’s fashionable to talk about L.A. as a vapid sewer, but in all honesty people are breaking their necks to get there
MENTIONS & LINKS
– Dan Carlan’s Wrath of the Khans Series (Hardcore History Podcast)
– George Carlan standup routine about putting up a strip mall in the most picturesque natural place